Watermark's Church Leadership Podcast
A podcast designed to help church leaders. The conversation each month will focus on issues and topics relevant to church leaders across the country and around the world.
From First Timer to Fully DeployedMay 6, 2019
Description:In this episode, Adam and John are joined by Kyle Kaigler (Plano Campus Pastor) and Derek Matthews (Men's Equipping Director) to discuss what leadership development looks like in the local church. Show notes --> www.watermarkresources.com/clp/6367
CLP Unscripted: 3 Thoughts on LeadershipApr 22, 2019
Description:Greg Crooks, executive pastor, joins John and Adam in a new, special podcast. The trio doesn’t have any planned agenda for today. Instead, they each bring a leadership principle to discuss. Show notes --> www.watermarkresources.com/clp/6249
Helping Others Determine Their Next StepApr 8, 2019
Description:Blake Holmes, Director of Dallas Campus Ministries & The Watermark Institute, joins the podcast to discuss how to help others determine their next step. Show notes --> https://churchleadersconference.com/blog/helping-others-determine-their-next-step
Leading Through ChangeMar 25, 2019
Description:Adam and John interview John Elmore, Director of Community & re:generation at Watermark Community Church, about how to lead in the midst of change. Show notes --> https://churchleadersconference.com/blog/leading-through-change
Encouraging OthersMar 11, 2019
Description:Adam and John interview Blake Holmes, Director of Dallas Campus Ministries, and Todd Wagner, Senior Pastor of Watermark Community Church, about how to effectively encourage others. Show Notes --> https://churchleadersconference.com/blog/encouraging-others
Decision Making Questions for LeadersFeb 18, 2019
Description:Following the previous conversation with Todd Wagner, Adam and John now discuss questions that church leaders should be asking when making decisions. Show Notes --> https://churchleadersconference.com/blog/decision-making-questions-for-leaders
Decision MakingFeb 11, 2019
Description:Adam and John interview Todd Wagner, on the topic of decision making. Show Notes --> https://churchleadersconference.com/blog/decision-making
5 Marriage Trends and How They Affect Your ChurchJan 22, 2019
Description:Scott Kedersha, Director of Marriage Ministry at Watermark, joins Adam and John to discuss five trends he’s seeing in marriages. Show Notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/5-marriage-trends-and-how-they-affect-your-church
How We Think About Strategic PlanningJan 7, 2019
Description:John and Adam are joined by Greg Crooks (Executive Pastor of Watermark Community Church) to talk about the role strategic planning has in the church. They talk about five best practices for effective strategic planning and then walk through Greg’s strategic planning worksheet. Show Notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/strategic-planning
Five Bad Habits of LeadersDec 18, 2018
Description:John and Adam discuss five bad leadership habits and what leaders can do to overcome them. It is through addressing bad habits that leaders can begin to move from good leadership to great leadership. Show notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/bad-leadership-habits
Hiring the BestDec 3, 2018
Description:John and Adam talk with Becca Nail, an HR Coordinator at Watermark Community Church. She focuses on hiring new staff members and the on-boarding process. Together, the three of them discuss what the hiring process looks like at Watermark and what to keep in mind when thinking about new staff. Show notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/hiring-the-best
Leading with a LimpNov 19, 2018
Description:John and Adam talk with Jonathan “JP” Pokluda about leading with authenticity. Show notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/leading-with-a-limp
A Leader and Their FamilyNov 5, 2018
Description:Todd Wagner (Watermark Senior Pastor) and two of his children, Cooper and Kirby, join Adam and John to talk about leadership in the family. Show notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/a-leader-and-his-family
Giving and Receiving FeedbackOct 23, 2018
Description:Jonathan “JP” Pokluda (Dallas Campus Pastor) and David Marvin (Young Adults Director of Programs) join Adam and John to discuss the importance of feedback. Show notes --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/give-and-receive-feedback
Productivity and Getting Stuff DoneOct 9, 2018
Description:Greg Crooks (Executive Pastor of Watermark Community Church) joins Adam and John to discuss six principles to help church leaders be more productive. SHOW NOTES --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/productivity
Casting VisionOct 9, 2018
Description:Johnathan “JP” Pokluda (Dallas Campus Pastor) and David Marvin (Young Adults Director of Programs) talk with John and Adam about the 5 C’s of Casting Vision. As leaders of the largest young adult gathering in the country, JP and David show leaders how to practically and authentically share a heroic vision to change the world, even with a small group of people. SHOW NOTES --> http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/casting-vision
Mobilizing the ChurchSep 4, 2018
Description:Every church leader desires to see their members living a life on mission, both inside and outside the church. In this episode, Jeff Ward (Director of External Focus) joins John & Adam to discuss some of the ways he and his team work hard to mobilize the church. Show notes: http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/mobilizing-the-church
Leading Through CrisisAug 21, 2018
Description:Leadership is rarely more difficult than when facing a crisis. In this episode, John McGee reflects on a recent crisis that impacted his family and what he learned about leadership in the midst of navigating some very difficult circumstances. Show Notes: http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/leading-through-crisis
What We Are Learning About CommunityAug 6, 2018
Description:Community Groups are a big deal here at Watermark and a ministry we take very seriously. In this episode, John Elmore (Director of Community and Director of re:generation) jumps into the podcast studio to share what we've been learning about how to lead a healthy Community Group ministry. Click for show notes - http://churchleadersconference.com/blog/what-we-are-learning-about-community
Dealing with Team ConflictJul 24, 2018
Description:If your church staff or volunteer team is made up of more than one person, then you've experienced conflict. In this episode, Todd Wagner discusses practical ways to deal with conflict and how to best embrace the opportunity conflict provides.
Can You Lead Yourself?Jul 10, 2018
Description:Is self-leadership even possible? Adam & John jump into the podcast studio to discuss this popular leadership topic and try to clear up some common misconceptions.
Celebrity PastorsJun 21, 2018
Description:Todd Wagner once again jumps into the podcast studio with John & Adam. The topic of discussion this time is the idea of "celebrity pastors" and why many pastors fall, regardless of whether or not they are a "celebrity pastor."
Building TeamsJun 6, 2018
Kyle Kaigler, the campus pastor in Plano, joins Adam and John to discuss seven principles of building teams. This podcast will challenge you to build teams, give ministry away and be intentional about developing others.
Why is this topic so important (4:00)
1) It makes disciples.
2) Builds ownership for people.
3) You get more work done.
4) You have more fun.
Seven Principles of Team Building
1) Be courageous (5:10)
One of the things Watermark is known for is the courage of our senior leaders. When you build teams with lay leaders, it build courage. We sometimes fire volunteers and that takes courage, but it sets the bar for what we expect.
2) Bring energy (6:24) Regardless of whether or not you are in introvert or extrovert, you need to be excited about what you are leading. That comes from your walk with Christ. As you recruit teams, look for those who are excited.
3) Have fun (8:32) "Life’s too short to not do ministry with people you love." – Kyle Kaigler 'Be creative with your team to have fun.
4) Know yourself (9:56) Pay attention to your own heart. To build teams you need to know your strengths and weaknesses and build teams around those. Have your identity in Christ, know your gifts and give things away. Get to the point where you have more fun watching lay leaders lead.
5) Play chess, not checkers (11:33) Know your people. In checkers all pieces do the same thing. In chess every piece does something different. People are different and you need to know them and deploy them well. Pray for it, wait for it. Wait for God to bring along the right people.
6) You set the bar (13:35) As you are building lay leaders, you have to tell them your expectations. You need to delegate responsibility and authority. When Jesus sent out the 70, he delegated authority and responsibility. This gives people ownership. What people own usually grows.
7) Provide candid feedback (14:35) You need a culture of handling conflict well. We want to build a culture where people freely, yet lovingly, share candid feedback. People will only get better if they get quality feedback. Expect what you inspect.
8) Why don’t more church leaders do this? We feel like we need to be the man or the woman, because we are insecure. Study Exodus 18:17-26 – this passage is so full of team building principles. Questions or comments? Email email@example.com.
1) Do you struggle to give ministry away? If so, why do you think that is?
2) Which of the seven principles do you feel like you are doing well? Where could you grow?
3) What volunteer or staff member needs you to give them feedback?
4) What are some practical ways you can help your team have more fun?